Animal Rights Zone

Fighting for animal liberation and an end to speciesism

Review of Gary L. Francione's Animals as Persons

Tony Milligan

Introduction: This collection brings together some of Gary Francione’s best known and most controversial essays stretching back over the past two decades. The gist of Francione’s position is that we need to advance beyond the defenses of animals that were set out by Peter Singer and Tom Regan more than 30 years ago. However, Francione gives us a peculiar mix of the novel and the traditional. Unlike Singer and Regan, he is traditional in his unhesitating committing to sentientism, to the view that “Sentience is necessary to have interests at all” (p.11). This is controversial given that it drives apart the moral concern associated with animal liberation and the kinds of concern associated with eco-activism in the interests of the non-sentient (e.g., ecosystems, trees and so on). But Francione is comparatively untraditional is rejecting the view that a defense of animals requires us to show that their ways of thinking are closely akin to our ways of thinking. (A theme pursued in the essay on “Taking Sentience Seriously.”)

Please click this link to view and read the .pdf: Review of Gary L. Francione's Animals as Persons

The index of ARZone's online library of academic papers is here

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Prof. Milligan writes: "...it is extremely difficult to sustain the view that no welfare changes can ever be linked to the promotion of a greater legal (or wider) recognition of the intrinsic value of animals. I have, I confess, in the course of looking over this collection of essays, entirely given up reading Francione as an effective defender of this thesis. Perhaps it can be defended in some significantly different way, but I have reservations about even this. (I do not know what a convincing defense of the thesis would look like.)"  I agree.

Yup!

I think that's an interesting excerpt. Here's the full quote: 

This being the case, it is extremely difficult to sustain the  view that no welfare changes can ever be linked to the promotion of a greater legal (or wider) recognition of the intrinsic  value of animals. I have, I confess, in the course of looking over  this collection of essays, entirely given up reading Francione as  an effective defender of this thesis. Perhaps it can be defended in some significantly different way, but I have reservations  about even this. (I do not know what a convincing defense of  the thesis would look like.) Nonetheless, what Francione does  marvelously well, is to direct the reader’s attention to the genuine dangers of regarding animals as property and to the need  for a strategy to move things forward beyond this degrading  subordination. In some way that I cannot quite fathom he also  does this better than almost any other author that I know. This  is not, of course, praise of a sort that Francione will want, but  neither is it faint or damning.

I think I agree with the full quote. 

Tim Gier said:

Prof. Milligan writes: "...it is extremely difficult to sustain the view that no welfare changes can ever be linked to the promotion of a greater legal (or wider) recognition of the intrinsic value of animals. I have, I confess, in the course of looking over this collection of essays, entirely given up reading Francione as an effective defender of this thesis. Perhaps it can be defended in some significantly different way, but I have reservations about even this. (I do not know what a convincing defense of the thesis would look like.)"  I agree.

I agree with Carolyn

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Videos

• Add Videos

ARZone Podcasts!

Please visit this webpage to subscribe to ARZone podcasts using iTunes

or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow ARZone!

Please follow ARZone on:

Twitter

Google+

Pinterest

A place for animal advocates to gather and discuss issues, exchange ideas, and share information.

Creative Commons License
Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) by ARZone is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.arzone.ning.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.arzone.ning.com.

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) Disclaimer

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) is an animal rights site. As such, it is the position of ARZone that it is only by ending completely the use of other animal as things can we fulfill our moral obligations to them.

Please read the full site disclosure here.

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) Mission Statement

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) exists to help educate vegans and non-vegans alike about the obligations human beings have toward all other animals.

Please read the full mission statement here.

Members

Events

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Animal Rights Zone.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Google+