Animal Rights Zone

Fighting for animal liberation and an end to speciesism

FACTORY FARMED ANIMALS TORTURED AND SLAUGHTERED TO FEED SO CALLED "COMPANION ANIMALS"

It is becoming clear that as a society we are becoming more and more speciesist.

What do you think about those who feel it is completely ok to factory farm, torture and slaughter animals so as to feed them to sustain so called companion animals (dogs and cats) rather than having them put to sleep?

Does this not seem to be completely hypocritical?

Many prominent animal rights advocates struggle with this question.

With many feeling the best way forward is the one with the "least harm" to ALL animals.

If this is the case then it would appear that the "least harm" would then be to humanely put the huge over population of excess companion animals to sleep as to keep them alive and sustain them hundreds of animals would have to suffer and  die.

So why is it that our society has become so speciesist?

Views: 674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry i support mandatory desexing, mandatory microchipping and pet licences. I am sick of our society overall treating animals as throw away items. If they cant afford to desex or microchip they shouldnt own the pet.

Microchipping costs 30$ if they cant afford that how can they even afford to feed the animal?

It was started as a discussion Tim.
Go away, troll.
Unfortunately a lot of people do, and it's frustrating to have to restate my position here on ARZone where it should be self-evident.

Well, the word "welfarism" is derived from "welfare," so that distinction is going to require lengthy and ongoing explanations. I'm not sure why it is you've chosen to explain this to me, in any case--I agree with your position on welfare reforms in the slaughter/vivisection/other exploitation industries but I'm really confused as to what "campaign" you're criticizing in this thread. Is it the regulation of puppy mills--setting limits on breeders as opposed to banning breeding altogether? Or are you against the whole "campaign" to reform shelters and get them to do their job properly?

This discussion really offends me, for many reasons--not the least of which is that some troll is allowed to keep calling me Tim when it couldn't be more obvious that I'm not Tim.

I agree. But this thread is focused on animals who are bred and sold as "pets" and then discarded in "shelters." Usually but not always dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, etc. And it was suggested that a member of this board was wasting money by spending it on vet bills to treat sick animals who had been rescued. That's a very offensive accusation.
I've seen that blog post. I knew Francione had dogs, and it's nice that he rescued them. Presumably he's had to pay some vet bills in all the time he's had his dogs, when he could have used the money to print up leaflets?
I'm really missing the relevance of Francione's dogs to your criticism of Den Friend.
It sure isn't, and I think Roger also isn't taking into account the fact that people are good at different things, and people want to do different things. And sometimes organizations that run shelters can benefit from the involvement of animal rights supporters--Nathan Winograd seems like a great example. If Winograd and others who think like him boycotted non-AR shelters, there would be no pressure on the shelters to change, would there?
Also, in my experience, rescue groups need as much help as they can get--from AR supporters and anyone else who is willing to help.

I don't blame Den Friend for attacking you after you attacked him for spending money on vet bills, and then went on to confuse the issue of rescue with the issue of campaigning for "welfare" reforms. You make the distinction here, but you're the one who attacked rescuers in the first place and suggested they have no right to use their time and money however they want. 

If you're opposed to a campaign to regulate breeding, or to a campaign for other legislation (such as shelter reform legislation)--well, I might agree if you made a convincing and non-insulting case for it--but to just lump all rescue-related issues together with animal agriculture reforms and then deny having done so is really disrespectful and disgusting.  

Considering the context of this discussion, he's probably not referring to any such "victories" OR to the illegal rescue of farmed animals (which I support, but which most people aren't in a position to carry out). He probably means things like conventional rescues, walking dogs at shelters, adoption, fostering, giving money to a rescuer to help them spay or neuter an animal, etc.

I agree with everything you've said about animal agriculture reform legislation, Carolyn, but I'm not sure what connection you're making between it and the issues that are the main topic of this thread.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Videos

• Add Videos

ARZone Podcasts!

Please visit this webpage to subscribe to ARZone podcasts using iTunes

or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow ARZone!

Please follow ARZone on:

Twitter

Google+

Pinterest

A place for animal advocates to gather and discuss issues, exchange ideas, and share information.

Creative Commons License
Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) by ARZone is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.arzone.ning.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.arzone.ning.com.

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) Disclaimer

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) is an animal rights site. As such, it is the position of ARZone that it is only by ending completely the use of other animal as things can we fulfill our moral obligations to them.

Please read the full site disclosure here.

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) Mission Statement

Animal Rights Zone (ARZone) exists to help educate vegans and non-vegans alike about the obligations human beings have toward all other animals.

Please read the full mission statement here.

Members

Events

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Animal Rights Zone.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Google+